Vegan Grocery Shopping (part 2) — A Case For Plant Based
Welcome to my vegan grocery shopping week! Tuesday we talked about vegan options at Aldi, Kroger, Meijer, Costco, Target, and Walmart. Today we’ll continue with more plant based products available at some additional stores.
If you live in (or have traveled to) the south, chances are you’ve been to a Publix. (It was always my family’s go-to for groceries on vacation!)
Not only will you find plenty of vegan food, but Publix also carries a number of vegan supplements and health items.
Vons & Safeway
Much like Publix, you’ll be able to find an abundance of plant based options at Vons or Safeway.
From bread and breakfast cereal to snacks and sweets, there’s something for everyone!
Search “vegan” on either one of their websites, and browse the hundreds of items available (subject to location).
If you’re lucky enough to have Trader Joe’s in your area, shopping here is a must! Browse the vegan-specific section in the refrigerated aisle (including vegan mac and cheese!), organic produce, pantry items, and frozen foods.
For a splurge from time to time, my husband and I really enjoy the jackfruit crab cakes and vegetable samosas. But our favorite has to be the spring rolls. They’re garlicky and delicious! 😋
The OG of the healthy, plant based diet movement, Whole Foods has endless options! Not only do they carry lots of vegan meats, dairy alternatives, and frozen foods, they also have plenty of pantry staples and fresh prepared food for purchase.
Plus, the 365 Whole Foods brand offers many vegan options and healthy alternatives.
Whole Foods is your one-stop-shop when it comes to produce, vegan food, and cruelty-free health and beauty products.
Vegan Shopping Guide
I personally recommend a fully (or at least mostly) whole food plant based diet in order to get the maximum health benefits from a vegan diet.
- Dried beans & legumes
- Cashews (especially for making cheeses and sauces)
- Pecans, walnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios
- Flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds
- Sunflower, pumpkin, sesame
- Red: red pepper, beets, red onion
- Orange: carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash, orange pepper
- Yellow: corn, yellow summer squash, yellow pepper
- Green: broccoli, kale, lettuce, collard greens, swiss chard
- Purple: cabbage, eggplant, purple potatoes
- White: cauliflower, garlic, onion, potato
- Brown: mushroom, onion
- Red: apple, strawberry, tomato, raspberry, watermelon
- Orange: orange, grapefruit, cantaloupe
- Yellow: lemon, mango, pineapple, banana
- Green: grapes, apples, kiwi
- Blue: blueberries
- Purple: grapes, plums, blackberries
- Bread (without honey or milk additives)
- Tofu (firm or extra firm for “eggs”; silken for smoothie bowls, casseroles, pancakes, etc.)
- Oatmeal or overnight oats
- Plant based yogurt, fresh fruit
- Frozen fruits and vegetables for smoothies
- Dried pasta and pasta sauce
- Curry paste and sauces
- Tortillas and tacos
- Plant based meat substitutes
- Meat and dairy replacements
- Nutritional Yeast (a must-have!)
- Garlic, onion
- Canned beans, refried beans
- Canned tomatoes
- Coconut milk
- Canned jackfruit
- Herbs and spices
- Vegetable stock
- Dairy free milk: soy, cashew, almond, oat, etc.
- Vegan butter
- Dairy alternatives
- Condiments: lemon and lime juice, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, sriracha
- Beyond Burgers
- Frozen fruits and vegetables
- Microwave meals
- Flour: all purpose, whole wheat, almond, chickpea, oat, coconut, etc.
- Sugar: organic or raw to ensure it is vegan
- Baking powder, baking soda
- Thickeners: arrowroot, cornstarch, tapioca, potato starch, agar, xanthan gum
- Egg replacers: ground flaxseed, chia seeds, applesauce, banana, silken tofu, Ener-G egg replacer, aquafaba (liquid in canned chickpeas)
- Cocoa powder
- Vegan chocolate
With more plant based options than ever before, there are plenty of vegan-specific brands to choose from! 🙌 Here are some of the exclusively plant based brands:
Vegan Grocery Shopping
With the plant based movement continuing to grow rapidly, be expecting to see an even larger amount of vegan products and brands in the near future.
Not only are vegan options abundant, but a whole food plant based diet also happens to be far less expensive than people might even realize (even when buying organic!)
My personal favorite stores for organic vegan food, plant based alternatives, and cruelty-free health, beauty, and cleaning products are Sprouts, Natural Grocers, and Trader Joe’s.
Buying from farmers markets and purchasing local is best, but only if you can do so safely in this era of a pandemic.
Vegan shopping and eating has never been easier, which is why now is the perfect time to go plant based!
What’s your go-to grocery store? What are some of your favorite vegan finds? Comment below, and don’t forget to subscribe to the blog! 🥰
Follow me on social media for vegan meal ideas, plant based products, and cruelty free finds!
Originally published at https://acaseforplantbased.com on August 14, 2020.